Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jesus and Idols

Conversation Between me and my 4 year old:

JR: I want my life, I don't want to give it to Jesus. I want the glory.
Me: Okay. We can talk about that if you want to.

The next day

Me: Hey, I want to tell you something. I sometimes don't want to give the glory to God. But God is good. We are sinful. When we give the glory to God we give to someone who rescued us from sin. When we give the glory to ourselves then we are just giving glory to something that is sinful. Why wouldn't you want to give God the glory?
JR: Because I want the glory.
Me: We worship Jesus to give him glory. Do you want to be worshipped?
JR: Yeah. I want to be Jesus and I am mad.
Me: Why are you mad?
JR: Because I want a Jesus costume to wear when I get bigger.
Me: Hmmm. What happened to people who worship things that aren't Jesus?
JR: The people break down the idols.
Me: Yeah, are idols really God?
JR: No
Me: Do you think you are wanting to be an idol? You aren't Jesus and you are wanting the glory.
JR: Yeah, I want to be an idol. And I want to be angry.
Me: No you don't
JR: Yeah I do. Wellllll, no I don't. I don't want to be made of metal. What am I made of?
Me: flesh and bone.
JR: Oh. I was just kidding. I don't want the glory.

Haha!! Sooo, what the heck was that conversation about anyway? Whatever it was, I think I may have botched it...

2 comments:

  1. best conversation ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you botched it! I think you gave her good things to think about. Next time, remind her of the golden calf that got melted down, burned and then the Israelites had to drink it. She'll want to give *all* the glory to God! :-) Just teasing.

    I found your blog through a comment you made on FB. :-) I decided I wouldn't be a stalker, I'd just say hi. You can check out my blog, too. I'm not very regular at blogging, though...

    ReplyDelete