Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Preparation For Easter

Telling tall tales and adventure stories comes as naturally as breathing in our house. My kids even start all their stories with "once upon a time".
Example:

JR: "Once upon a time, when I was a little girl I ran into a spaghetti forrest with noodle vines and toast walls. And there was a bread house!"

AJ: "Mom, Unce-a-time when I was a yittah boy, I saw a tigah! And he come an' bited my toes."

Stuart Little is our current read. When we sit down for breakfast, Jessie's first question for the past two weeks is always "Will you read more Stuart Little ?"
"Of course, my little darling!!!" I say cheerfully.
(Not really. I will say something like "Yeah sure, give me a minute. Be patient.")
I sit down and read until someone splats oatmeal on the page, loses interest, or, like today, AJ mashes his muffin to oblivion with his fists.

So, with all the story-telling in our home, I get pretty excited about holidays. I am especially excited about Easter.
I love Easter.
But it hit me today.
I can't let this be another story I tell the kids over the breakfast table. I want this one to be tangible, real and personal.
So
I am asking for ideas. Friends, would you mind telling me how you wade through all of the hype of bunnies and eggs to get to Jesus? How do you make it special and personal? I would love to hear your input.


2 comments:

  1. One thing we try to do is make Resurrection Cookies (http://www.annieshomepage.com/resurrectioncookies.html) We don't always remember, but it's so special when we do.

    I would love to see what others say, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi beth! let's be blog friends. i'm kmcook.wordpress.com

    i wish i had kids so i could tell you my advice for how to make sure they understand easter.

    i miss you and jesse and asher and will!

    -love, kelsey

    ReplyDelete