Sunday, February 7, 2010

Haiti and my Boots

I wore my "Help Haiti" T-shirt to the mall the other day.
I overheard an interesting conversation between two people who read my shirt.
This saleswoman thought that the tragedy in Haiti was going to make people in America feel better about their lot in life. And because they felt better, they were going to spend more and therefore boost the economy. I listened condescendingly. How could they only think of how this awful event would affect them? I shook my head as I picked up a pair of $120 boots.
How short sighted they were.
How shallow.
Selfish.
I casually wondered how the boots would look with my new jeans...

Aaron Ivey and his wife Jamie just welcomed their son home from Haiti. Amos is a boy who they have been in the process of adopting for the past two years. Every other month one of them would fly to Haiti to visit with Amos and love on him.
Haiti is a very difficult country to adopt from. So they didn't know when they would be able to get their son. They were determined. Aaron even wrote an incredible song about the strength of his resolve to bring the boy home. It's beautiful. When the tragedy struck Haiti they were, in all probability, back to square one. But they were so hopeful. They were excited to speak out and take this oportunity to help others. When the earthquake shook Haiti, it should have shaken their hope.
But it didn't.
A few weeks ago they got a call.
In an incredible turn of events their son and 26 other orphans were being flown to Florida. They could pick him up Within 24 hours.
Amos is home.
Amen.

Something happened to me while I was holding those boots.
I. felt. ashamed.
I realized that the saleslady's self-centered opinion was no worse than my willingness to allow my t-shirt to be my voice AND my action.
I put down the boots and walked out of the store crying.

But where to start?

My sweet husband unknowingly answered this question.
He was helping my 2 year old get dressed in his "Help Haiti" t-shirt yesterday. I heard him say to AJ. "Okay, when you put this on, you remember to pray. Dear Jesus, help the little girls and boys who lost their homes and their families. Comfort them, keep them safe. Amen". His little voice echoed sweetly, the words that I should have been saying all along.

That is the place to start.

Then.
There are other ways.
It tells the story of Amos, and also the story of Ronel (who just spent a week with his new father sleeping on the floor of the US Embassy in Haiti waiting to be released to his new home/family in America - they finally landed on US soil Thursday!). There are also ways to donate money on this website.
Don't get me wrong.
I don't think it's wrong to buy a pair of shoes. But if I need some in the future, I'll try TOMS (they are donating 30,000 pairs to Haiti in the month of February).

For now. I will just try to shod my feet with "the gospel of peace".






1 comment:

  1. maybe you'll get toms for your valentine's shoes.
    love you beth.

    ReplyDelete