Monday, March 1, 2010

Going Blind in Wal-Mart

I went to Wal-Mart today. On the way in to the store, I noticed that I couldn't see out of my left eye very well. I thought it was my contact lens and so I kept scrunching my eyes shut to try to get my vision clear. It wasn't working and I realized while I was on the baking aisle it was actually getting worse.
Instead of slowing down and trying to figure out what was wrong, I panicked and started throwing things into the cart. I rushed through the aisle, thinking that I could at least get the grocery shopping done before I went completely blind in one eye.
I was winking and blinking and shaking my head as I rushed to check out.

Then, right between AJ punching all the buttons on the credit card machine and JR dropping the carton of eggs on the floor,
it hit me.
What if I couldn't drive?
What if the other eye started going blind?
I took a deep breath and looked at my cart brimming with groceries and then at my two children who I didn't know if I would be able to see after today.

I marched myself into the Wal-Mart vision center.
"Hi, um, I can't see out of my left eye. It's all fuzzy." I tried to sound nonchalant
"OK. When would you like to get in to see the doctor?"

"Just as soon as possible, I can't see and, it's a little weird" my voice was suddenly so loud.

5 minutes later my kids and I were sitting in the exam room with a shopping cart full of abandoned diapers and dairy products in the hall.

Then it happened.

My eye just went and cleared right up.
I sat there with my two toddlers and wondered if I could sneak out with my shopping cart unnoticed.
The doctor came in.

"Hey!" I said. "Umm, I couldn't see, but now it's okay"

It didn't get me out of an exam. And an embarrassing revelation.
It was low blood sugar, or that I needed sleep.
"Oh." I said "Next time I go blind in one eye, I'll eat a snack and take a nap before I come see you, okay?"
Then I laughed waaay too hard and left.

He didn't charge me.

Well, if a crazy lady pushed a cart full of groceries and two kids into your office and claimed to be going blind, would you charge her, or get her out as fast as you could?
Right. Thought so.

2 comments:

  1. i just read this story out loud to kyle and said "guess who this is okay?" his response? "I reeeaally hope it's Beth Norvell." Then we laughed. Just an appropriate amount.
    You see the story is just better if it's you. :) we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha!! That is so funny. Thanks Jade.

    ReplyDelete