Monday, November 29, 2010

Nashville in November

I just wanted you to know how the trip to Nashville went.
Just in case you are in a hurry and you need to know in one word,
FANTASTIC.

But for the three family members that would like to read further, here is the synopsis by day. I know that for anyone who is actually a real musician, the dictionary at the end is going to let you know that, well, I know NOTHING. But don't make fun.

November 15th
~ preproduction at Pentavarit Studio with Andy Osenga.
~ scratch tracks were made for the first 5 songs.
~ Met Allison, Andy's wife and we ate at Baja Burrito (yum)
~ Hung out with Britt, Bobby and Jen, ate Jen's fabulous cooking.

November 16th
~ scratch tracks were made for the next 5 songs
~ Britt came and hung out at the studio.
~ Ate at McDougals (yum as well)
~ Ate at Baja again (super yum)

November 17th
~ Smoakstack Studio to begin laying tracks for bass (James Gregory) and drums (Will Sayles).
~ Ate at Baja again (super super yum)
~ Listened, learned a lot. And marveled at amazing musicians with my jaw hanging down to the floor most of the day.

November 18th
~ Smoakstack again with Andrew, James and Will. Finished laying down bass and drums for all ten songs.
~ drank a lot of coffee and tried to keep my jaw from dislocating again (these guys are amazing!!!)
~ ate at Calypso. (Does the yum ever end?)
~ hung out with Britt and Jen, ate more of Jen's amazing cooking.

November 19th
~ Listened to all the tracks and made notes about what was going to happen when I come back in January.
~ Flew home to my sweet family, just in time to save me from dying of homesickness!
STUDIO DICTIONARY (stuff I learned that most 4th graders already knew)

scratch track - the song in a raw state. Usually with vocals and bare instrumentation and a click track. Used as a guide for creating the real song track.
Click track - a steady rhythm fed to your cans so that you can stay on beat while you record.
Cans - headphones
Diamonds - whole notes
Preproduction - talking through with the producer all of the ideas and thoughts about each song.
Killer - this is good.
punch you in - insert a part into the music, usually in the middle of the song.

I can't wait to add to this. End of January is the next recording date. I will let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

  1. we you asleep the WHOLE time we were recording in Dallas?

    i can't wait to hear everything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW!!! HAHAHAHAHA!! I read your response to Will and he just looked at me and said. "You know babe, he DOES have a point".

    I must have been... Either that or I am really dumb.... I prefer asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I am so excited for you and this new adventure in your life. Way to go on claiming your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When will your CD be ready? I will definitely be a buyer!

    ReplyDelete